Growing Arilbreds in northern Utah (was Reaction to Reaction to RHS Blues)

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Growing Arilbreds in northern Utah (was Reaction to Reaction to RHS Blues)
  • From: "Jeff and Carolyn Walters" <cwalters@cache.net>
  • Date: Sat, 1 Feb 1997 10:58:45 -0700 (MST)

Sharon Mc Allister writes (31 Jan 97):

> Tom Craig and Ben Hager advised annual transplanting -- and I must agree
that
> it's the best practice for the older varieties and many of the newer
ones.  Gene
> Hunt was working toward more gardenable arilbreds, on the theory that
most
> people want to be able to grow them alongside their TBs.  Have you tried
any of
> Les Peterson's?

Yes, I have grown several of Les's arilbreds (even got to know Les a little
in my early years as an AIS member in Utah). They grow and bloom well here
in their native state and I don't recall any rot problems with them. The
arilbreds I find most attractive, however, are the ones with bold signals
and a marked tendency towards species form. I have recently acquired some
of Hager's and Shockey's introductions, which seem to be doing well so far.
I am growing most of my arilbreds in the same bed with TB's - not
intermingled, but in separate blocks on the edge of the planted area where
I can limit the water they get in the summer.

Jeff Walters in northern Utah (Zone 4)
cwalters@cache.net
"This is the Place" - Utah Pioneer Sesquicentennial:  1847-1997