Iris in the Rock Garden

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Iris in the Rock Garden
  • From: "Jeff and Carolyn Walters" <cwalters@cache.net>
  • Date: Sat, 1 Feb 1997 10:59:40 -0700 (MST)

Hi all:

I've been outside for a look around. We've been in a thaw all week, and the
snow is completely off the rock garden (it has a southern exposure) and I
found that Iris reticulata and I. danfordiae have sprouted, along with
Crocus chrysanthus 'Prins Claus' and Tulipa saxatilis (the latter is not an
early bloomer, but it sprouts early).

I am aware that there was discussion on this list last year about the
tendency of I. danfordiae to split up rapidly into multiple bulblets and to
cease blooming after the first year. I also have Brian Mathew's bulb book,
and am aware that he recommends deeper planting for danfordiae to overcome
this tendency. Unfortunately, I planted danfordiae (Fall '95) without
consulting Mathew. This is the second year, and danfordiae doesn't seem to
be sending up any more spears per bulb than reticulata (but reticulata
seems to be coming along faster, so we will have to see).
Jeff Walters in northern Utah (Zone 4)
"This is the Place" - Utah Pioneer Sesquicentennial:  1847-1997