Re: RHS Colors & Names

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: RHS Colors & Names
  • From: "Keith Romanczyk" <fdic@moran.com>
  • Date: Sat, 1 Feb 1997 11:50:52 -0700 (MST)

> :  Much praise to Sharon for what must have been a marathon typing
session.

> Thank you -- but there's no way I could have done that in one evening
with my
> limited keyboard skills.  It was a cut-and-paste operation to share some
of the
> things I'd learned from an earlier study.   I must confess that I still
prefer
> widely understood names like Flamingo Pink and Soft Coral to some of the
more
> esoteric RHS names.

And speaking of esoteric names I was amused by the inclusion of 'Paris
Green' as a color description.  Highly popular around the turn of the
century ( I think) the pigment was derived from arsenic trioxide.  People
had homes lavished with the color in the forms of wallpaper and paint.
Then people started getting sick and dying.

After that 'Paris Green'  was the name for an insecticide and rat poison.

A rather macabre reference.  I'm surprised they still use the name.  Maybe
because it sounds 'romantic'.

/kr