Re: RHS Colors & Names

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: RHS Colors & Names
  • From: Carol Wallace <cww@scranton.com>
  • Date: Sat, 1 Feb 1997 12:07:19 -0700 (MST)

Keith Romanczyk wrote:

> And speaking of esoteric names I was amused by the inclusion of 'Paris
> Green' as a color description.  Highly popular around the turn of the
> century ( I think) the pigment was derived from arsenic trioxide.  People
> had homes lavished with the color in the forms of wallpaper and paint.
> Then people started getting sick and dying.
> After that 'Paris Green'  was the name for an insecticide and rat poison.
> A rather macabre reference.  I'm surprised they still use the name.  Maybe
> because it sounds 'romantic'.

I think now it refers to the color we see in the ittle sidewalk cafe
tables and park benches all over Paris==or at least the color American
manufacturers selling facsimiles of these use.  I bought a can of this
for my own outdoor furniture, and in our light it was so bright I ended
up learning how to do faux verdigris--fast!

If you have a small business
or if you're a gardener--especially if you're both!
Gardens & Graphics:
Find great gardening and more on http://www.suite101.com