Re: Dark Horse

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: Dark Horse
  • From: "Jeff and Carolyn Walters" <cwalters@cache.net>
  • Date: Sat, 1 Feb 1997 13:06:05 -0700 (MST)

Clarence Mahan writes (1 Feb 97):

>In a message dated 97-02-01 07:36:03 EST, you(= Graham Spencer) write:
>
> << Supreme Sultan has been criticised on this list (was it Clarence who
> didn't
>  like it for being tooooooo big!) >>
>
> I think my comment was not that it is too big, but that the stem (stalk)
> often cannot support the flowers.  I have seen some fairly good clumps,
but I
> have seen as many or more plantings of it where it is pretending to be
> VICTORIA FALLS, i.e. leaning over or on the ground.  That was my comment,
and
> that continues to be my impression.
(clip, clip)

Here in Utah, and unlike VICTORIA FALLS (talk about mentioning a cultivar's
faults in naming it), I have not observed that SUPREME SULTAN exhibits a
Pisan affinity - and it grows to full registration height (40"), too. OTOH,
one of the more opinionated and outspoken  members of our local iris
society never refers to S> S> by any other name than "Big and Ugly", so it
is by no means a shoo-in, even if it is the only non-SA TB in contention
for the Dykes' Medal this year.

Jeff Walters in northern Utah (Zone 4)
cwalters@cache.net
"This is the Place" - Utah Pioneer Sesquicentennial:  1847-1997