Re: Do Iris Grow on Trees?

THE WOODY IRIDACEAE: Nivenia, Klattia, Wittsenia.

These are all East African irises and they are all descibed, with
photographs in Clive Innes book, The World of Iridaceae.  I have just
seen a clean copy of this book for $25 at Dauphine Street Books, 410
Dauphine Street, New Orleans, La 70112 tel 504 529 2333.

I also saw another interesting book with some paintings of irises (about
4 pages) from 1611 (I think after only a brief review).  This book was
"Hortus Eystettensis.  The Bishop's Garden and Besler's Magnificent
Book. Nicholas Barker 1994 Abram Press.  It was selling, new for $60 at
the Longue Vue Gardens in New Orleans 7 Bamboo Road, N.O. La 70124-1065
tel 504 486 7440 fax 486 7015.

By the way, many thanks to everyone who suggested where I might find
Louisianans.  Unfortunately, they were not flowering and I happened to
hit a very cold, rainy spell.  I am determined to return during April
sometime as I understand that is when they are all flowering!

Ian