Re: Iris stylosa (unguicularis)

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: Iris stylosa (unguicularis)
  • From: Z88KEYS@aol.com
  • Date: Sat, 1 Feb 1997 19:02:23 -0700 (MST)

My clump of I. stylosa (unguicularis) is right near the drivesay, close to
trees on the north, and partially shaded  by a picket type fence.  It never
gets fertilizer;  fertilizer will probably kill it in my experience.  Wire
grass has invaded, but seem to be tolerated.  It seems to bloom on warm days,
even when the previous night was below freezing.  Mike Lowe agrees that it
should not be fertilized, and he thinks it should seldom be moved.  I have
had three blooms, each two weeks or so from the previous one. They do not
last long, but are rather large, and very pretty.(lavender). with some design
at the haft.  Lloyd Zurbrigg  Durham NC Zone 7.5