RE: which zone is best!

At 10:07 PM 1/31/97 -0700, you wrote:

> I'm shooting for retiring in zone 6, I hear they have a longer, warmer, but
>not to hot summer. Anyone out there in zone 6? I can't remember seeing one on
>the list but I'm sure there must be someone. I also think both Cooleys and
>Shreiners are located in zone 6.
>Jefrie Jenkins
>Kent, WA  zone 5 - AIS region 13

I live in zone 6 in middle Tennessee.  We can count on some temps of 0 F
during the winter, and not infrequently down to -10 or even lower.  We may
remain below freezing for a week at a time.  However, winters as a whole are
not too severe.  What I complain about is early warmups followed by freezes
which damage blooms on iris and other plants.  It is hard on stone fruits
especially--perhaps one year in 4 will see a crop of peaches do well.
Summers are hot and humid, but not with the intense heat of the desert or
the REALLY humid places like LA .  The longer growing season is an
advantage.  We watch the weather, and if the forecast looks good, we set out
our tomatoes around April 15, but we have been caught by freezes.  Last
spring was especially bad, with a warmup in Feb. followed in March by, to
quote the Weather Channel, "unprecedented, record-breaking cold."  Now those
are words that really give me a chill!
Julie Allen  Sparta, TN zone 6