RE: which zone is best!

>If I understand correctly, the zone is based on the average lowest
>temperature. It does not really provide information about the highest
>summer temperatures.

 While the harsh winters in Indiana make whole
>categories of rose growing impossible, the high summer heat, and strong
>direct sun kills other types of plants,  like pansies, sweet pea, etc...
> In addition the unpredictable freeze/thaw throughout the
>winter brings other problems. Judy Sylvester Zone 5

	I agree totally with the premise that the Zone really doesn't portend
	much in the flower growing department....in Zone 3, we have a decid-
	edly shorter growing season but that is our one drawback. As I have
	mentioned before on this list, we do not experience the freeze/thaw
	winter that others experience (we stay frozen) and most importantly,
	we have a good snow cover since before Thanksgiving even when we had
	some warm weather in Dec....we have so much snow that it never melts

	Ellen Gallagher

	Ellen Gallagher				"The smell of freshly dug
	e_galla@moose.ncia.net			earth is perfume to the
	Lancaster, New Hampshire, USA		gardener."
	USDA Zone 3