Re: RHS Colors & Names (Iris Humor)

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: RHS Colors & Names (Iris Humor)
  • From: CEMahan@aol.com
  • Date: Sun, 2 Feb 1997 00:31:20 -0700 (MST)

<<   I dream of it both night and day,
                                      But sometimes feel compelled to say:
                                      "My dreams are of such little use---
                                      Shall I never see an iris of puce?"
 I suggest                        Not rouge infernal, not maroon
                                      Nor crimson lake, nor flayed baboon,
                                      Assuage my constant reveries
                                      Of puce incarnadine, it seems.
 Anner Whitehead
 Ever willling to trot nonsense out by the square yard on demand in Richmond,
 Va. >>
And to Anner Whitehead I say:

                                       Oh no! Tis not rhodonite I crave,
                                       Nor for blood red, nor scarlet that I
                                       Only a true iris of puce can suffice,
                                       To lift my soul to paradise.

To Lloyd Zurbirgg:              Well should you not despair,
                                        When from your love and tender care
                                        A seedling of such splendid hue
                                        Comes forth to bless and honor you.

To Jeff Walters:                 You learned poets may well smile,
                                        And think me dense and juvenile
                                        To fear not ridicule or fleas!
                                         "This puce!" I cry on bended knees.

To Ellen Gallagher:             Yes, shades of blue can drive me mad,
                                         Gentian, cornflower and faience
aren't bad.
                                         But ecstasy can't come from blue---
                                         Only a puce iris will do.

And finally to Julie Allen, with thoughts of Sharon McAllister:

                                          I still dream of 'Things to
                                          An iris of puce in this millenium,
                                          But must admit a purple iris might
                                          If 'Violet Music' were its name,
tis true.

Now, ---I'm out of here!  I promise! Clarence Mahan in VA