Re: Modernity (and Good Garden Irises)

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: Modernity (and Good Garden Irises)
  • From: CEMahan@aol.com
  • Date: Sun, 2 Feb 1997 08:50:08 -0700 (MST)

<< Sounds good to me, although I like some of the modern colors, and better
 substance is nice, and a LITTLE bit of ruffling...  come to think of it, the
 only things I don't much like in the newer tall bearded iris is the
 overabundance of buds (I prefer lots of stalks with only one or two flowers
 per stalk open at a time) and the form of the flowers.
 Are there pollen daubers already doing this? >>

Yes, I know of at least two hybridizers who are working along the lines you
mention. Hal Stahly, former president of AIS, and currently a member of the
Board of Directors, gives some of the best judges training programs there are
to be had on garden irises.  He has long pointed out that great show irises
often make poor garden irises.  And he has been breeding irises for garden
excellence.  His STARLIT VELVET, to mention only one, is a superb garden
iris.  And very beautiful, too.

The 2d hybridizer who has taken up this agenda is Paul Black.  After
previously going for the big and glamorous, Paul became convinced that
smaller, well-substanced  flowers and stronger stalks are goals to be
pursued...and he is doing just this.  I sure there are others, but these too
very talented iris breeders were the first to come to mind.  Clarence Mahan
in VA