RHS Names & Numbers

LInda Mann wrote:

:  What I was trying to figure out is if there is anyway I can use this list of
:  color names and numbers to figure out what the names mean,at least relative
:  to one another?

The short answer is "No".   The charts are useful without the list, but the list
is essentially meaningless without the charts.  The only use I can see for a
chartless list would be in conjunction with checklists and flowers.  When you
look up a new-to-you variety in the checklist and find an RHS number  included
in the description you have the opportunity to observe what that number meant to
that hybridizer and if it has a name you'll have found an example for future
reference.

:  Sounds like I can for intensity of color (value?
:  saturation?), but not for more than that?

And even that works only one number at a time.  Chip "D" is always the lightest
on its card, but nothing about the system tells you how intense it is with
respect to other cards.

:  Some catalogs use descriptions
:  like 'pansy violet standards and bishop's purple falls' - all I get from that
:  is that it is a purple iris.

The RHS charts can't solve that problem for you unless the catalog description
also includes the number.  Otherwise, you can't even be sure that the author was
using RHS names.

:  I don't know if  pansy is darker, lighter,
:  redder, bluer, or some other more unexpected thing (yellower?muddier?) than
:  bishop's purple.

In the RHS system, and to most eyes, "purple" is redder than "violet".

Sharon McAllister (73372.1745@compuserve.com)