Who is it?

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Who is it?
  • From: Christopher Hollinshead <cris@netcom.ca>
  • Date: Sun, 2 Feb 1997 15:08:08 -0700 (MST)

Ellen Gallagher wrote:
> Chris - Who was the hybridizer?

Chris Hollinshead replies:

Brad Kasperek of Utah. He has a really refreshingly different iris
catalogue! Full of fun and nifty iris. Address as follows:
Zebra Gardens (Iris of a different stripe)
2511 West 10950 South
South Jordan, UT 84095-8308
e-mail: ZEBRAIRIS@aol.com

Some of his other fun names: HIPPO'Z TUTU, SPICED TIGER, GNUS FLASH,
GIRAFFE KNEEHIZ, HOTDOGS AND MUSTARD, VIOLET TIGER, GNU, GNU AGAIN,GNUS
FLASH, NIGERIAN RASPBERRY. (the actual registered name of the iris you
had asked about is BABOON BOTTOM, not BABOON'S BOTTOM)

Not everyone in the iris world loves this "wild naming" of iris or the
wild color patterns but I find it kinda like a "breath of fresh jungle
air", exciting and different. I like it. Brad specializes in the area of
color breaking iris, another area of contention with some iris purists.
(Some love it, some hate it, few are indifferent)
As a politician once said something like this: You can please some
people some of the time, but not all of the people all of the time.
Way to go, Brad Kasperek, for exploring "new frontiers".

--
Christopher Hollinshead
Mississauga, Ontario  Canada  zone6b