Re: RHS Colors & Names

In a message dated 01/02/97  18:50:13, Keith said:

<< And speaking of esoteric names I was amused by the inclusion of 'Paris
 Green' as a color description.  Highly popular around the turn of the
 century ( I think) the pigment was derived from arsenic trioxide.  People
 had homes lavished with the color in the forms of wallpaper and paint.
 Then people started getting sick and dying.

Paris Green was used as a dye in the wallpaper in the room that was used by
the British to imprison Napoleon on the island of St Helena. It is now
believed by many that it was the cause of his early death.

Another interesting and little known fact from the mine of interesting and
little known facts...

Graham Spencer
.who really must stop staying up all night to watch documentaries.