Re: Purple vs. Violet

Sharon and Linda;

Discussion of color reference can be a lot more basic and less confusing if
you
just start with color name, shade or hue.  Your mention of an artist color
wheel
is a good one.  Naturally color combination and use of color is very
important
to an artist and my favorite use, floral design.  Terminology also seems more
basic and easier to understand.  I know all of us have our preference in
colors
we choose to have around us.  This loses its importance when choosing or
the use of color for whatever your media use.  In becoming a national flower
show judge I found this phase fascinating.  Learning about color in art form
and in the world around us really encriched my life.  Depth perception and
so many other things are influenced by color.

I am sure some of the artist's on the list could address this from their
viewpoint.
The eye view's color differently and it is essential to have a basic color
wheel
for a frame of reference.  However one needs a dictionary at hand to look up
some of the color codes you've given us Sharon to better understand what is
meant by the name given some shades of a particular color.

Sharon your eye for the use of color in what you are looking for in breeding
iris
is continuous I am sure, and isn't it great how much more you notice the
world
around you because of this!  Looking forward to receiving your new catalogue,
hope I am on your list.  Joining the Aril Society is on my list thanks to
you,
Louella, Barbara, Tom and others.  I was so surprised at my success so far
in growing l/4 to l/2 aril's, only have about ten, but haven't lost one yet.

Hated missing the birthday chat but am not proficient enough on this machine
to master that just yet.  Tried to though.

Best to all from my sunny warm island today.

Claire, Isle of Palms, S.C. Zone 8.