Does anyone know of any intrageneric (not intergeneric!) hybrids of
Belamcanda?  How many species are there?  I have only seen two (chinensis
and flabellata); the latter is much the superior garden plant in its
variety 'Hello Yellow.'  Seems as if the two could be crossed we might get
greater color variety in more compact, floriferous plants.

I see that a few seed houses, etc., are now offering what would appear to
be xPardancanda as Belamcanda chinensis in variety.  Suggests that the
Pardanthopsis genes have pretty much been lost except perhaps for the
purplish colors.  There were complaints of this happening.  Certainly the
ones I have grown recently have lost most of their Pardanthopsis-like
(Iris-like?) characteristics.   Is seed from the original strain available
anywhere?  Could they be re-selected for more iris-like appearance?

Best wishes, Bill
William A. Shear
Department of Biology
Hampden-Sydney College