birthday party & Iris-L chat

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: birthday party & Iris-L chat
  • From: Tom Tadfor Little <telp@rt66.com>
  • Date: Mon, 3 Feb 1997 11:30:42 -0700 (MST)

The birthday party went off pretty well, with perhaps fifteen people
joining in between 7 and 9, though not all at the same time. At one point
we had about 10 people at once, but the average was around 6.

There was a net split, so that some people who tried the Los Angeles server
were  out of touch with the rest of us. I also heard that the AOL folks had
their own separate chat room.

Still, we had champagne, cake, ice cream and brie. And we had some good
iris talk in the midst of all the merry-making: rebloomers, seed starting,
Dykes contenders, beardless species, and Louisianas all made an appearance
some time during the evening.

I am sorry some of you had trouble getting on or learning how to use IRC.
Julie wrote
> I think it may be
> that the computer literate on the Iris-l don't quite comprehend that some of
> us are still learning the alphabet.
But I'd like to say No, that's not true at all. A couple weeks back, I did
explain that there was a learning curve involved here, and that folks not
already familiar with IRC might find it difficult. We do understand, but
there's just not a whole lot we can do about it except offer to answer
questions, which John and I both did.

There was a suggestion that this become a regular event. That's fine with
me, although I may not drop in each time. Anyone who wants to host a
session (or set a regular weekly time) is most welcome to do so. Just post
an announcement on Iris-L so that others will know when to connect.

Happy birthday and
Happy irising, Tom.