Moraea---Is it Everblooming?

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Moraea---Is it Everblooming?
  • From: CEMahan@aol.com
  • Date: Mon, 3 Feb 1997 17:24:04 -0700 (MST)

When my wife Suky and I were visiting out son in Orlando, Florida in November
we saw one park with mass plantings of moraea.  They were to the untrained
eye very much like white Siberian irises.  If I lived in Florida I would have
them in my garden.  An interesting trait we noticed was that there were many
stalks with dried seed pods, and still a few stalks had new flowers, and
there were a few with buds coming on.

In mid-January Suky went back down to Orlando to babysit for the two
grandsons, and she again saw other plantings of moraea whose bloom stalks
with fresh flowers were accompanied by old stalks with green and dried
seedpods.  I am wondering if this morea (I know not which species it is, but
it looks a lot like M. schimperi, plate 142 in Innes book) is everblooming in
Florida.  Does any one know?  Clarence Mahan in VA