Re: Retro Hybridizing, wind tunnel varieties

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: Retro Hybridizing, wind tunnel varieties
  • From: mikelowe@tricities.net (Mike Lowe)
  • Date: Mon, 3 Feb 1997 20:12:15 -0700 (MST)

Fred Kerr writes...

>It was just a question of time before the idea of breeding historics came up.
>....Anyone interested in doing this doesn't need to go to the varieties of
>the >50's and 60's. My seedling beds produce these forms in abundance.
>Supreme >Sultan, Twist of Fate, Busy Being Blue are three that come to
>mind as producers >of the tailored form.

It is interesting that the iris plant's bloom is the first thing that comes
to mind when the subject of going back to species or older cultivars is
raised.

It may well be that what is desired by those who mention 'Retro Hybridizing' is:

        gardenability
        hardiness
        disease resistance
        floriferousness
        maintainability
        thriftiness
        toughness
        mulchability
        drought resistance

But then, perhaps not. According to a large number of currently active
hybridizers, form and color of the flower is the major determining factor
in the success of any given tall bearded iris.

Can we say: "Good garden perennial?"

I didn't think so.

Mike,  mikelowe@tricities.net   --   http://www.tricities.net/~mikelowe/
South Central Virginia, USA