Belamcanda

Bill Shear asked:

>Does anyone know of any intrageneric (not intergeneric!) hybrids of
Belamcanda?

and

> Could they be re-selected for more iris-like appearance?

Bill,

In SIGNA No. 5, Feb. 1970 Samuel Norris reported on the development
of the pardancanda hybrids.  He reported that the Belamcanda parent
was " Rex Pearce's "Avalon" hybrids from Park's .... a cross between
B. chinensis and B. flabetalla."  I think these are the only two
species recognized.

Samuel Norris or Darrell Probst would be able to give you some more
on breeding of these forms.  My guess would be that if the "iris"
form has been lost, one would need to cross back to Pardanthopsis to
get it back in the line.

Rodney Barton
rbarton@hsc.unt.edu
Hickory Creek, (North Central) Texas, USA
Zone 7/8, typical temp range 15 - 105 F (-9 - 41 C)
AIS, SIGNA, SPCNI, SLI, FWIS, Iris-L

North American Native Iris Web Page:
http://molly.hsc.unt.edu/~rbarton/Iris/NANI.html