Re: Dykes' Derby 97 (was Dark Horse)

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: Dykes' Derby 97 (was Dark Horse)
  • From: MMoller123@aol.com
  • Date: Tue, 4 Feb 1997 08:37:59 -0700 (MST)

CONJURATION was submitted to the Dr. Loomis Garden as a seedling during our
first year. It won a Loomis Award for its outstanding garden habits. The
branching was great, and the stalks were strong and sturdy to our windy
weather. Most blooms lasted four days each. Monty Byers was really surprised
when I called to tell him it was a winner. At that time he told me that the
only fault he found in CONJURATION was the flowers being a bit small for the
plant.

THORNBIRD was also in this first Loomis test. It preformed well, although it
did not when a Loomis Award. I was giving a garden judging training session,
when Harry Kuesel first veiwed THORNBIRD. he expressed his not liking of the
color or horns. He openly critized the hybridizer that would introduce such a
thing. Later that day he was back to studying that flower and it seemed to
grow on him. Next year he had a very good report on THORNBIRD, and if I was
to bet, I would bet that Harry grows this iris today.

Mike Moller