Re: Modernity: MELTED BUTTER & Hybridizer of CUP RACE

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: Modernity: MELTED BUTTER & Hybridizer of CUP RACE
  • From: Barb Johnson <ljohnson@cland.net>
  • Date: Tue, 4 Feb 1997 10:14:09 -0700 (MST)

Jeff and Carolyn Walters wrote:

> Stedman Buttrick had a showplace house and garden in Concord, Massachusetts
> that overlooked  "the rude bridge whre the embattled farmers stood"
> (quotation from poem NOT composed by Clarence Mahan). I believe it is now a
> part of the National Historic Site (maybe someone from New England would
> know if the garden is still in existence?).
>
> Jeff Walters in northern Utah (Zone 4)
> cwalters@cache.net
> "This is the Place" - Utah Pioneer Sesquicentennial:  1847-1997

THANK YOU, Jeff, for this information! I am trying to learn about the
hybridizers as well as the irises, and had absolutely no information on
him (or whether he WAS a him!). When did he die, and what were some of
his other irises?

I have just ordered the 1959 and 1969 Check Lists (with the others to be
ordered in February and March), so I expect I'll find out about some of
the other hybridizers who worked after the '30s and '40s (which check
lists I DO have).

To Spring!

Barb Johnson       ljohnson@cland.net
Southwest Missouri Ozarks     USDA Zone 5b     AIS Region 18 (MO & KS)
Where it is also at least as windy as Oklahoma!