Re: Iris Lazica

Lynn.Woosley@ATL.frb.org wrote:
>      I recently came across this name in a list of winter-blooming plants
>      for the southeast U.S.  Is anyone familiar with this plant?

I have grown I. Unguicularis "Lazica" for about a year now.  It was
given to me by Ben Hagar.  I have it in three locations around the house
and in pots.  It has yet to bloom for me, probably needing time to get
established.  I have seen it blooming at Ben's and the flowers are
virtually identical to the common form which is probably "Cephalonica".
I cannot see how Mathew can consider this a separate species as they
are  visually so similar.  Of course there is the possibility of my
having the wrong plant.  My plant of "Lazica" does have wider and
shorter foilage as Graham notes however the foilage looks mottled and it
may be slightly virused.  I will have to observe this closely as time
goes by.  Anyway Lynn,  if you are considering acquiring "Lazica" I
would suggest that you first try the common form as it seems to bloom
more freely, from November thru February, and is highly fragrant,
smelling to me like Hyacinths.  A good source is "The Iris Gallery",
33450 Little Valley Road, Fort Bragg, CA 95437.  Jay Hudson is the owner
and may be lurking somewhere on the iris-l.  Jay says that he will be
listing a half dozen or so clones of I. Unguicularis this year.

Rick Tasco
Central California
Zone 8