Re: Retro Hybridizing, wind tunnel varieties

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: Retro Hybridizing, wind tunnel varieties
  • From: storey@aristotle.net (J. Michael, Celia or Ben Storey)
  • Date: Tue, 4 Feb 1997 13:44:03 -0700 (MST)

Mike Lowe's list:
>        gardenability
>        hardiness
>        disease resistance
>        floriferousness
>        maintainability
>        thriftiness
>        toughness
>        mulchability
>        drought resistance
Mike, please help educate a newbie. What is "mulchability"? That the iris's
dead leaves aren't covered with spots and so can be composted? That the
rhizome resists rot so well you can mulch around it?
Does "thriftiness" refer to the rhizome price or to some habit of growth?
Inquiring mind wants to know.

Celia Storey
storey@aristotle.net   USDA Zone 7b
Little Rock, Arkansas ... where we the yellow crocuses are quacking. A
personal, off-topic tragedy: I set my gorgeous, gifted and talented
poinsettia out on the deck this morning to bask in the bright, and a breeze
knocked it off the table and snapped off half its astoundingly
well-proportioned foliage. Darn those plastic pots! Darn my carelessness!