Re: Iris breeding (was Retro Hybridizing, wind tunnel varieties)

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: Iris breeding (was Retro Hybridizing, wind tunnel varieties)
  • From: Rick Tasco/Roger Duncan <randrcv@sierratel.com>
  • Date: Tue, 4 Feb 1997 19:30:23 -0700 (MST)

Croftway@aol.com wrote:

> I want all of those qualities from irises of any age. And, at the risk of
> sounding like a broken record, those are the qualities breeders should be
> breeding for FIRST and then working to get the good bloom to go with those
> qualities. Look at the most popular irises of all time - Stepping Out,
> Wabash, Jane Phillips and others - all have good growing habits and good
> blooms - none were outstanding new "breaks".
> When will breeders learn? If they want to leave something that will be
> testament to their skills for years after the have gone, then they MUST
> PRODUCE A DARNED GOOD PLANT and not just a pretty bloom.
>
> Feeling better for saying that (again)
>
> Graham
> croftway@aol.com

Graham,

It's easy for someone to sit on the outside and make judgements.  Why
don't you try your hand at hybridizing?  Devote decades of your time,
grow thousands of seedlings,  make selections and try to come up with
the "darned good plant" your looking for.  I doubt very seriously that
most hybridizers today are intentionally breeding for poor iris.  The
iris probably grows great in each hybridizers area.  Hybridizer's
motivation are probably many, but profit and awards are probably near
the top.  Going back in time to acquire traits requires a big sacrifice
for hybridizers.  You can forget about profit and awards for quite a
while.  And I for one will not do it.  I believe their is enough
material available in our modern iris to work with.

Rick Tasco
Central California
Zone 8