Re: SUPREME SULTAN and New Introduction criteria

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: SUPREME SULTAN and New Introduction criteria
  • From: Donald Mosser <dmosser@southconn.com>
  • Date: Tue, 4 Feb 1997 21:40:23 -0700 (MST)

At 06:24 AM 2/4/97 -0700, you wrote:
>Let's see, that's died in middle Tennessee, wasted away in east Tennessee,
>and died in North Carolina.  Fell over in Mississippi.  No word from Donald
>Mosser or other lurking southeasterners.  Not much of a commendation from the
>southeast.
>Linda Mann east Tennessee USA

Linda,

I'm an iris newbie, so I haven't had a chance to grow SUPREME SULTAN.
However, I would be glad to trial these and any other irises which anyone
would care to send me. :)  Of course, I think that your garden would
present more of a challenge for new introductions than mine. No offense
Linda, but you are the self admitted "Rot Queen" and you do have heavier
soil and a wetter climate than I have. :)

Despite the average of 49 inches of rain per year, I seem to be doing well
with most TB's that I've tried.  I attribute the success with TB's largely
to having soil with a very high sand content.  My entire garden is
basically a sandy slope with near perfect drainage.  The killers here seem
to be insect damage to the rhizome combined with high summer humidity which
combine to promote rotting of the rhizomes.

I know that we've beat this dead horse, but could we go over some of the
items mentioned when evaluating new introductions, such as gardenability.
Specifically, could some of the hybridizers on the list comment if they
have any criteria or rules that are fairly cut and dried?

Examples: "I never introduce any iris unless it averages at least X number
of increases per year" or "I never introduce an iris until I've grown it X
number of years".

Are general criteria for introduction for the different classes of irises
discussed in the judges handbook or in some other AIS publication?

-Donald

Donald Mosser
Member of AIS, HIPS, SIGNA, SSI, SLI, SPCNI, and IRIS-L
dmosser@southconn.com
http://www.geocities.com/rainforest/5570

North Augusta, South Carolina, USA
USDA Zone 7b-8