Re: SUPREME SULTAN and New Introduction criteria

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: SUPREME SULTAN and New Introduction criteria
  • From: Rick Tasco/Roger Duncan <randrcv@sierratel.com>
  • Date: Wed, 5 Feb 1997 00:02:55 -0700 (MST)

Donald Mosser wrote:

> I know that we've beat this dead horse, but could we go over some of the
> items mentioned when evaluating new introductions, such as gardenability.
> Specifically, could some of the hybridizers on the list comment if they
> have any criteria or rules that are fairly cut and dried?
>
> Examples: "I never introduce any iris unless it averages at least X number
> of increases per year" or "I never introduce an iris until I've grown it X
> number of years".
>
> Are general criteria for introduction for the different classes of irises
> discussed in the judges handbook or in some other AIS publication?
>
> -Donald

The Judges Handbook can be used as a guide for introducing iris.
Especially the section on "Judging in the Garden".  Everything is
discussed here for a good garden iris and for each type of iris.   There
is a scale of points used which adds up to 100.  For instance, TB's
plant-30, Stalk-35, Flower-25 and distinctiveness-10.  Each area is
discussed in detail and broken down further.

Of course this guide can work wonderfully in your garden and your area,
but the iris may have problems in other parts of the country you may not
know of unless it is grown there.  Some hybridizers send their
potentials to the National Convention of AIS, Spring Regionals, The Test
Garden or to other hybridizers/growers.

Even if your iris does not do good in other parts of the country, and
makes the grade in your area should it be discarded?  I think not.
However, when marketing this variety a certain amount of disclosure
would be beneficial.

Keep in mind also that the modern bearded iris is a mixing bowl of many
different species.  And that some species had limited ranges in their
natural habitat.  For instance I. variegata originates from very cold
climates and is known not to do well in warmer areas.  Also, the reverse
is true for I. Mesopotamica.  Both of these irises genes are in our
modern varieties.

Rick Tasco
Central California
Zone 8