  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: experience
  • From: storey@aristotle.net (J. Michael, Celia or Ben Storey)
  • Date: Wed, 5 Feb 1997 08:33:44 -0700 (MST)

Graham Spencer says:

>I grow around 27000 plants in 350 bearded varieties dating from 1890 to 1990,
>but I only have experience of them growing here. Mostly TBs (80%).
>I admit I have not done any breeding work - I admire those who do.
>I also agree that there are a lot of good varieties amongst those that are
>introduced, and that has been one of the reasons why I have not done any
>breeding work (as well as lack of time - but I am young (25) and there may be
>time yet!).

In 25 years you've grown 350 varieties ... let's see, that's 14 bearded
iris varieties for every year of your life. In contrast, I have grown, by
my best count - including the plants whose names fell off over at my
mother's house so the markers use descriptives such as "white" and "yellow"
- 0.48780487805 iris varieties per annum.

Mr. Spencer, it's an honor.

Celia Storey
storey@aristotle.net  USDA Zone 7b
Little Rock, Arkansas ... where I'm scratching my first poison ivy rash of
the new year having spent the weekend clearing dormant vines from the area
destined to hold my first beds of beardless iris.