Re: Iris breeding

Croftway@aol.com wrote:
> HOWEVER, (and I should have qualified my original comments with this) it does
> seem to me that there are onehelluva lot of varieties that are introduced
> that do not possess the basic gardenability qualities that we all desire -
> this comment is based on observation of my own plants growing here, and also
> observations posted in the Bulletin, on this list and elsewhere.

YOU have control over any particluar hybridizers' plants that won't grow
for you--DON'T BUY ANY MORE OF THEM!!  If you have better success with
one hybridizer's varieties over another hybridizer, buy their varieties.

Another good checking point--see how many other iris catalogs that
variety is listed in.  If it grows well, it will be in many catalogs.
If it doesn't--you won't find it in many places.  Commercial growers
won't waste time with varieties that won't grow--I can vouch for that!

Rick Tasco
Superstition Iris Gardens
Zone 8
Central California foothills--more rain expected this week-end, but
light rain they say--that means get out the rain slickers!!