Re: Test Gardens

Croftway@aol.com wrote:
> Perhaps, if we could organise more trial gardens, we could get
> new seedlings properly trialled in many different zones before they
> are introduced to an unsuspecting public. I know that many breeders do > this already, but do enough breeders do this, and do they really get
> results from lots of different areas?

I know in the past (50's I think??), AIS tried to establish test gardens
and it would be interesting to hear from any members who have knowledge
of that period as to why they did not succeed.

However, I can think of many reasons as to why there would be problems
today.  Mike Moeller mentioned a few of those, such as all the time it
takes to judge irises in test gardens.  Also the upkeep of the gardens.

Most of this work would have to be on a volunteer basis, and who has
time for that??

Rick Tasco
Superstition Iris Gardens
Zone 8