Re: Iris breeding : check the catalogs

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: Iris breeding : check the catalogs
  • From: "Jeff and Carolyn Walters" <cwalters@cache.net>
  • Date: Wed, 5 Feb 1997 20:31:00 -0700 (MST)

Rick Tasco writes (5 Feb 97):
> Another good checking point--see how many other iris catalogs that
> variety is listed in.  If it grows well, it will be in many catalogs.
> If it doesn't--you won't find it in many places.  Commercial growers
> won't waste time with varieties that won't grow--I can vouch for that!

An intersesting coincidence. The winter 1996-97 issue of "THE MEDIANITE"
arrived in the mail today and contains an article by Dick Sparling entitled
"Catalog Survey of Median Irises - 1996". He surveyed 53 catalogs/price
lists and summarized the median cultivars offered. For example, of 46
catalogs offering BBs, the most widely offered cultivars were APRICOT
(15), MARMALADE SKIES (15), and PINK BUBBLES (15). Are these all among the
best growing BBs on the market today?

Jeff Walters in northern Utah (Zone 4)
"This is the Place" - Utah Pioneer Sesquicentennial:  1847-1997