Re: Catalog Check points

At 10:16 AM 2/5/97 -0700, Rick Tasco wrote:
>Another good checking point--see how many other iris catalogs that
>variety is listed in.  If it grows well, it will be in many catalogs.
>If it doesn't--you won't find it in many places.

I agree with your reasoning as long as you're referring to irises which
have been in commerce long enough to achieve good distribution, but not
long enough to become historics.  This "catalog" checking point wouldn't
necessarily apply to historic irises which grow well, but may be hard to
find, or to very new introductions which are not yet well distributed.
Getting back to the issue of historics, couldn't the "flower style" also be
a large factor in eliminating them from commerce rather than their ability
to grow well?

>Commercial growers won't waste time with varieties that won't grow--I can
vouch for that!

Probably a true statement for most, but it may depend on how large of a
commercial venture you're talking about, how well the grower evaluates the
iris, the convictions of the hybridizer/grower, and how long you mean by
"wasting time".  Example, if I had a true, but poorly growing MAYTAG RED
(TB), I could grow more of it and raise the asking price enough to allow me
to make a good profit for several years until I could incorporate its genes
into a better growing line.  By the time everyone figured out what a poor
grower it was, I would have a new, improved variety on the market. And,
yes, the hopeful would buy this new variety with the same excitement that
they purchased my first dud, because now it has unbelievable ruffling and
lace and an unsurpassed catalog description and photo.:) Of course this
example represents the isolated case of a potential color break. :)

I would contend that the economics factor cuts both ways on both sides of
the fence.  Does it all even out?  Who knows?  With honest
growers/hybridizers, probably so.  Food for thought.
Donald Mosser

North Augusta, South Carolina, USA
USDA Zone 7b-8