Tet. Louisianas x others

I promised a message under separate cover about I. virginica and here it
is.  I noticed while drooling over my Special Publication of the Society
for Louisiana Irises, that Ken Durio succeeded in crossing I. virginica
with a tetraploid Louisiana iris.  However, the story ended as of November
1994 with unknown results for subsequent crosses of this new beauty
(Seedling V1B87, pictured on page 38 in this publication).  Does anyone
know if this type of cross has produced anything fertile?

On another note. Tom Little and I got started on IRC last Sunday night with
a discussion about the potential of crossing tetraploid Louisianas
(chromosome numbers of 84-88) with I. missouriensis.  Has anyone tried this
yet?  Does anyone have any ideas if this would be feasible?  Are there any
other beardless varieties with chromosome numbers in the 70-80 range?  What
about I. versicolors, what's it's chromosome count?

-Donald

Donald Mosser
Member of AIS, HIPS, SIGNA, SSI, SLI, SPCNI, and IRIS-L
dmosser@southconn.com
http://www.geocities.com/rainforest/5570

North Augusta, South Carolina, USA
USDA Zone 7b-8