Re: Iris breeding

In a message dated 05/02/97  17:36:37, Rick said:
<<
 Another good checking point--see how many other iris catalogs that
 variety is listed in.  If it grows well, it will be in many catalogs.
 If it doesn't--you won't find it in many places.  Commercial growers
 won't waste time with varieties that won't grow--I can vouch for that!

As a commercial grower, I concur. BUT, when looking at new introductions,
which generally will only appear in one catalogue for at least the first
year, if not the first two years or more, how do you tell if its going to be
good - there is too much rubbish! I know this becuase I buy new introductions
and trial them here (the only way to effectively discover if a variety will
do well for you). Free market economics take too long to show results (3 to 5
years), and even then they are not always a good indicator of gardenability
as Sharon has pointed out.

Graham
croftway@aol.com
(I did say that I thought this thread would run and run!)