Hybridizer/S Africa

I have been following the hybridizer thread with soem interest and
would like to chip in.

Our local suppliers do not list the hybridizer so one chooses the
plant from the catalogue description.  Only one nursery has a colour
catalogue (not 100% accurate).
In 1994 I obtained 7 rhizomes from Nursery A.  4 of which flowered
that year,  one never bloomed and subsequently died and one turned
out to be quite different form the one ordered.  This batch has
continued to bloom intermittently.
1995 I went to another nursery and got 12 more,  4 of which bloomed
that year,  the freebie named as Pledge Allegiance turned out to be
Lord Baltimore.  The following year 2 bloomed again,  5 bloomed for
the first time,  3 appear to have given up the ghost and one has made
no effort to flower.
In 1996 I went back to Nursery B ordered 10 more,  one of which
flowered and all are still present and correct.
Late September 1996 23 fine big rhizomes arrived from Schreiners.
All have done well,   2 of which were a bit low on the ground but they
were overshaded (now remedied),  the Dykes medallists have really
flowered in December (What an Xmas bonus).  The old iris (no name
brand) which have been in the garden since 1980 have just continued
to get better and better.

Chant (1994,  nursery A) really peaked last Spring,  flowered from
 July to end October ( now divided and hope that was not a big
faux pas).  Apart from Vanity and Chant,  none of the other locally
bought iris have really clumped.  The American rhizomes were twice
the size of the locals.  Whether they benefited from being
transplanted in our mid Spring (with rainfall) whereas the locals get
transplanted in our very hot summer is a factor - who knows.  The
ubiquitous purple is blooming right now and its a mere 101F or 39C in
the shade!

Sally Guye
email zosg@warthog.ru.ac.za