Re: Iris Shows

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: Iris Shows
  • From: Patricia Wenham <prw@televar.com>
  • Date: Thu, 6 Feb 1997 08:59:42 -0700 (MST)

Barbara Mann wrote:
> Celia, actually, at our Santa Fe show we find we don't need placards because
> we have about half a dozen people in the club who hang around looking like
> they really want to talk to visitors.  Even though we did it last year, and
> the year before, and the years before that.  What is it about iris that makes
> us want to share like that?  I don't know, but maybe I'd still be a shy little
> person instead of somebody who wants to tell everybody about my iris.  I (and
> several others in the clubl) even give talks on iris subjects to any group who
> will listen.  It's a great way to meet people, anyway.
> Barb in Santa Fe, and another winter storm is moving through.
> ----------

We all have computers, Obviously, so why don't those lucky enough to
have shows generate something on their computers to supply the needs of
the visually oriented visitors and save it for future shows?  It should
not take the place of knowledgeable, friendly people who will share
information and experience with their guests.  Remember, they are your
guests and I would not expect my guests to visit me and only read place
cards, house rules etc.  I would expect to visit with them and make them
feel welcome so they would want to see more of me in the future.

I guess what I want to say is you are both right.  I joined AIS because
I read about it in a gardening magazine but I am not a member of a
regional anymore because, mouthy and outgoing though I am, I hesitate
jumping into cold water, that is, new groups where I do not know a soul.