Re: Iris Shows

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: Iris Shows
  • From: storey@aristotle.net (J. Michael, Celia or Ben Storey)
  • Date: Thu, 6 Feb 1997 09:46:18 -0700 (MST)

Then Patti wrote:

>We all have computers, Obviously, so why don't those lucky enough to
>have shows generate something on their computers to supply the needs of
>the visually oriented visitors and save it for future shows?  It should
>not take the place of knowledgeable, friendly people who will share
>information and experience with their guests.

Patti says what I meant to say. Visual helps such as printed placards
wouldn't *replace* your personal presence. But some sort of visual system
is very helpful to strangers, especially if you hold your show, as we will,
in a very public place where not merely a few hundred but a few *thousand*
strangers can be expected to stop by. We're using a mall.

I hope what I wrote isn't construed as criticism of the enthusiasm or
assertiveness of my local society, because it's not. Not at all! They're
outgoing, experienced and articulate people and quite a few of their
friendly faces are always ready to answer questions. But I still would not
have asked any of them for help interpreting the exhibition. I would not
have walked across the room to a total stranger and said, "What's wrong
with the ones that didn't win and how come they all look just fine to me?"

I'm like Patti, self-reliant and not gung-ho about asking strangers for
help. I see this as a flaw in my makeup to be overcome; but I also see it
as a clue to the personalities of the other people who may first encounter
the iris society through our public show.

It takes uncommon humility to be a gardening enthusiast (the sort of person
who will linger in the exhibit) and yet be willing to be seen as
uninformed. My mom is such a rare soul, bless her, otherwise I would not be
growing iris today or learning everything I can from intimidatingly
knowledgeable folks like the people on this list.

P.S. Patti, where do you live?

celia

storey@aristotle.net    USDA Zone 7b
Little Rock, Arkansas ... where we have cold drizzle, gray skies and
daffodils and crocuses opening and - alas - hydrangea buds turning green.