Re: Selection Mechanisms

 	Jeff Walters wrote:

>     3) Even locally hybridized iris are not necessarily dependable. Melba
>Hamblen's iris (hybridized within 50 miles of here as the crow flies - if
>crows fly above 10,000 ft) do not perform consistently well in my garden.
>In fact rather more are sub par growers than otherwise, although some are
>among the best I have grown.

	This thread has been really helpful to me since my experiences
	re irises 'making it' have been similar....I would like to add
	that where the rhizomes spent their first few months or in the
	case of seeds where the parent plant was growing seems to be the
	line of demarcation for me. Up here, also in a higher elevation,
	50 miles is probably another zone and climate (not just temp.).

	I have some irises from the Maine seacoast that do well here
	and some from Montana and Minnesota that are thriving and I
	will see this summer whether the rhizomes from Colorado and
	Oregon are ok. Also, whether seeds from Hungary sprout...

>     4) What grows for my neighbor may not do well for me. This area may or
>may not be blessed (cursed) with more microclimates and special
>circumstances than others, but when members of our local iris society (all
>gardening in the same mountain valley and within a radius of about 15
>miles) get together to discuss varietal performance, more often than not we
>cannot reach a consensus.

	This is the way of the gardener - everyone's growing land is just
	a little bit different and also the culture has to be unique to say
	nothing of the gardening practices....oh my, so much to think about
	as Rick gazes on his daffodil and I shovel 18 inches of heavy snow

	Spring will come - but winter is great for dreams and planning....

	Ellen Gallagher   		"Snow covers the garden. The gardener
	e_galla@moose.ncia.net		forgets the struggle."
	USDA Zone 3
	Lancaster, New Hampshire, USA