Intro, another new subscriber

    Since I saw someone else intro themself, I thought I ought to
go ahead and do it too.  My name is Katherine Roberts, and I live in
the SE part of central Texas (Bryan, TX to be exact), zone 8.  I have
just about zero experience growing irises.  Two years ago, my husband
and I bought a small, older house, and have been working on things
ever since.  This year, our major project is to get some gardens
going, vegetable as well as flower.  I do know that bearded irises at
least, will grow well here, because I see them all over the place.
     Because I am just getting started, I don't have much iris
growing around the house yet.  I was lucky enough to be given some
left over rhizomes from a friend that divided their irises last year,
and I discovered a white iris growing in the empty lot next door.
Which, somehow managed to find its way into the small flower bed I
started last year <grin>.  One of these irises is about to bloom, and
I can hardly wait!   I really want to develop several flower beds
around the house that are primarily iris, but I want to do it right.
(any advice thereof will be eagerly listened to)  I've been looking
around and I know the basics of when and where to plant, how they
should be planted, and some of the soil requirements, but the theory
is never as good as the practical.  I know almost nothing about the
diseases and pests associated with irises, and am not really sure
what to look for.  So, I'm looking forward to learning more about all
different kinds of irises, and associated gardening.

Thanks for "listening",
Katherine Roberts
Bryan, TX (SE Central Texas) Zone 8