Re: Iris breeding

<< When doing this up close and personnel evaluation, you
 would be suprised at the many things you find that are trully improvements
in
 iris today.  >>

Amen to that!---some examples:

Look at the improvement in rebloomers and space age TB irises! We have had a
revolution!

Development of the luminata pattern at long last (more than 50 years after it
first appeared).

Orange and near pink amoenas

Zonal and double zonal patterns.

New colors, e.g. LADY FRIEND.

Lace---e.g. LACED COTTON

And look at what has happened with plicatas in the last 20 years, starting
with SPINNING WHEEL.

Brown or near brown irises that grow in the East, e.g. BRONZETTE STAR

And there are a lot more advances (I dislike the word "improvements" as I
feel it has been difficult to "improve" such classic irises as MME CHEREAU
and QUAKER LADY).  Clarence Mahan in VA