Iris versicolor chromosome count

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Iris versicolor chromosome count
  • From: CEMahan@aol.com
  • Date: Thu, 6 Feb 1997 14:25:36 -0700 (MST)

In a message dated 97-02-06 08:06:12 EST, Donald Mosser wrote---

<< What
 about I. versicolors, what's it's chromosome count? >>

I waited for someone else to answer so in 1997 I won't win the chatterbox
award again.  But no one has responded to Donald's question, so I decided to
risk getting the award again.

I. versicolor has the highest count of any member of the genus Iris.  As
roported both by Randolph in 1936, and Anderson in 1936, 2n = 108.  It has
been ventured by some that I. versicolor is a species that is really a
natural hybrid of I. setosa (2n=38) and I. virginica (2n=70).

 A good source for this information is Garden Irises, edited by F. Randolph
and published by AIS in 1959.  You can find it sometimes in bookstores
dealing with used books or in catalogues of used horticultural books.  If you
see it, get it.  Wonderful book!  Clarence Mahan in VA