Re: Nemacur

At 09:35 AM 2/6/97 -0700, you wrote:
>I was very interested in Terry Aitken's article on nematodes in the Bulletin.
>Have any of you used Nemacur?  It sounds a little scary to me.  I wonder
>exactly what is meant by a "restricted" pesticide.
>-Lowell Baumunk
>Douglas County, Colorado

I hope this wasn't a rhetorical question, but a "restricted" pesticide is
one that has certain controls placed on its distribution and application
within the United States.  These controls,  I believe, are invoked by a
U.S. federal law called FIFRA (Federal Insecticide, Fungicide, and
Rodenticide Act of 1972).  FIFRA is the comprehensive U.S. federal statute
regulating the use, sale and labeling of pesticides. The statute requires
registration of all pesticides sold in the United States.  I'm not an
expert on FIFRA (only been through one audit on it), but I believe that one
must have a restricted pesticide applicator's license in order to purchase
or use these pesticides, at least for commercial or agricultural use. Under
FIFRA it may be illegal in your state for you to purchase or use restricted
pesticides without a state issued, restricted pesticide applicator's
license.  Being labeled a restricted pesticide doesn't necessarily equate
to higher toxicity to humans. I would guess that pesticides make it onto
the restricted list because of their potential impact and longevity in the
environment and their effect on ground and surface water quality.  Clarence
M. is the ex-EPA man, I believe.  Is any of this on target Clarence (or
anyone knowledgeable)?  I would hate to spread false information.

Specific information (and it sounds like nasty stuff) for Nemacur may be
found at the following URL:

If anyone would like the info. for this pesticide by e-mail just let me know.

Donald Mosser

North Augusta, South Carolina, USA
USDA Zone 7b-8