Re: gardenability

Michael Cook wrote:

>      I have noticed with great interest the disucssion about the
> gardenability of Irises and some hybridizers Irises not growing in certain
> areas.  I have encountered the same thing, but I hesitate to totally
> blackball a hybridizer.  When most of the plants tried from a certain
> hybridizer's fail to grow, I will not purchase any more from that
> hybridizer for the time being.  However, if I see a plant introduced by
> that same hybridizer performing well in another Lexington, KY garden, I
> will try to swap for a start of that plant.  While at times I may say that
> certain plants don't do well from me, I will not criticize the hybridizer
> when I know that his/her introductions perform great somewhere else.*****

Another thing to consider is to check the parents of the cultivar in
question.  Some hybridizers use a certain combination for a number of
their introductions.  (Some even year after year...not critizing!!!)
Of course several hybridizers introduce TB's and medians.  The medians
might be ok, even tho the TB's might not.  In fact, Medians tend to be
more hardy....as a rule.

Dennis