Re: dietes vegeta

>Bordo Adrienne wrote:
>> Her second question was about louisiana iris. She has been given a
>> clump and can't decide whether to leave it in her Fla. garden or bring
>> it back to Zone 4-5 and try it. Any ideas? This is the person I have
>> bought the "I consider every plant hardy until I have killed it myself"
>> T-shirt. She does take some chances.

If it's a really a clump, then why not divide it and plant most of it in
the Florida garden.  It's sure to survive the transplant into the Florida
garden.  Just a guess, but maybe bring two fans back to Zone 4-5, trim the
foliage, and pot up and place in a sunny indoor location until it is
possible to plant out in the spring.  If the Zone 4-5 plant dies, the one
in the Florida garden should have made good growth by division time later
in the summer/fall, and she could try again.

Donald Mosser

North Augusta, South Carolina, USA
USDA Zone 7b-8