Jeff Walters, Immortalizer!

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Jeff Walters, Immortalizer!
  • From: CEMahan@aol.com
  • Date: Thu, 6 Feb 1997 19:25:46 -0700 (MST)

Today my mail came and among the letters was a manila envelope.  I saw that
it was from our own Jeffery L. Walters of Hynum, Utah.  "Hum! What is Jeff
sending me?" I thought.  When I unsealed the envelope there was a letter from
Jeff and a document, backed with cardboard and covered with paper.  And this
is what the letter said:

"Dear Clarence,

Please find enclosed your presentation copy of the special printing of an
original work, unbound (but who could confine such flights of fancy?).  I
believe this is the complete edition, but I apologize in advance to anyone
who was inadvertently overlooked.

I hope you will long cherist it as a memento of a few mid-winter hours
passsed in carefree abandon by people who I assume, are sane and sober when
not under the influence of their PC.

Sincerely,

Jeff Walters"

And so I took the paper off the cardboard. There, on parchment-looking paper,
double edged in black, on two pages, was, in artistic format, the chain poem
entitled: "Dream Iris", with subtitile: "Ode on First Looking into a
Concordance of the RHS Color Charts with a List of Descriptive Terms".  On
the right of each section of the poem was the name of the person who wrote
it: Anner, Jeff, Ellen, Lloyd, Julie, John, Sharon, Carolyn, and, in the
jargon of Miss Piggy, moi.

Oh, Jeff, what have you done! I had thought my descent into the realm of
silly, nonsence poetry would waft through cyberspace, and drift out into
infinity. I had thought, over time those on the list would forgive, and then
forget.

Now, forever, framed and hanging on my study wall, these rhymes of fleur de
puce, flayed baboon, campanula and faience will haunt my declining years.
 But I will also be smiling.  Clarence Mahan in VA