Re: Judging--Flower shows ETC.

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: Judging--Flower shows ETC.
  • From: "Jeff and Carolyn Walters" <cwalters@cache.net>
  • Date: Thu, 6 Feb 1997 19:26:05 -0700 (MST)

Dear Arthur,
     You write (6 Feb 97):
<clip ---- clip>

> I wonder if it is possible to have a points card when Judging Flowers,
saw
> a hundred point spread over the important  points, when I exhibited birds
> the highest I came up was 95, a hundred points was not possible, Can an
> Iris have say have the features to warrant a point system? in that way at
> the shows one could see the good or bad points. all that I have written
may
> be nonsense, but it is some thing that is in the back of my mind and it's
> best out.

There is merit to your suggestion (and AIS does have an official point
scoring system for show bench judging), but it would be a major, if not
insuperable, problem of logistics to implement it. Mike Moller mentioned
not long ago that it requires 8 minutes to point score an iris at the
Loomis Trial Gardens. Assuming it would take the same time to formally
point score at an iris show, and there were 200 entries to be judged, that
is a total of 1600 minutes. Even if there were, let us say, 4 panels of
judges working the show, it would require 400 minutes, or over 6 hours, of
clock time to complete the judging. By the time the show was opened up to
the public, everyone would have gone to bed and the iris would have folded.

Jeff Walters in northern Utah (Zone 4)
cwalters@cache.net
"This is the Place" - Utah Pioneer Sesquicentennial:  1847-1997