Re: Nemacur

Lbaumunk@aol.com wrote:
> I was very interested in Terry Aitken's article on nematodes in the Bulletin.
> Have any of you used Nemacur?  It sounds a little scary to me.  I wonder
> exactly what is meant by a "restricted" pesticide.  Colorado State U. doesn't
> test for nematodes, and although nematodes sounds like a good explanation for
> the kind of decline in vigor we see in long-used iris beds, I hate to treat
> for a condition I am not sure exists in my garden.  Any ideas?
> -Lowell Baumunk
> Douglas County, Colorado

I agree with Graham about getting your soil tested first.  I would be
suspect of nematodes in your climatic area.  Has anyone in your area had
nematodes that you know of?  The kind of decline you speak of is not
uncommon here in California and probably in a lot of other locations.
In fact most of the Commercial gardens here have to fumigate, solarize
or rotate to avoid this happening.  Growing iris in the same location
year after year exhausts the nutrients in the soil and there is a
buildup of harmful insects(maybe nematodes), fungus and other pathogens.
If your plants become puny and some are on the verge of disappearing
then you have to do one of the above.  When some of my customers tell me
of this I will first ask if they can rotate.  If not then solarize.
Some people are afraid to solarize because they think it is a lot of
work.  It is not as bad as it seems and the rewards are remarkable.  If
they can do neither of these, then I ask them to pray!

Rick Tasco
Central California
Zone 8