Re: Show Time

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: Show Time
  • From: "Jeff and Carolyn Walters" <cwalters@cache.net>
  • Date: Thu, 6 Feb 1997 21:18:51 -0700 (MST)

Jefrie Jenkins writes (6 Feb 97):

> Hi Jeff,
>
> It's time for our Iris shows also, we have both an early & a late show.

We have an early and late show,too. That is we have one show that is either
too early or too late for somebody's (sometimes everybody's) peak bloom.

The
> thing that I found most helpful for my first show was that the members of
the
> society had a pre show get ready meeting. This meeting was held at one
members
> house where she was able to show us hands on how to get irises ready to
> exhibit.

What we have done in our local iris society is have the meeting nearest to
the show date focus on arranging with iris for about six years running. At
first we had people with lots of design experience come and discuss and
demonstrate the various aspects of creating arrangements. The past two
years we have had a "hands on" experience, where everyone jut created their
own arrangement. This has had a tremendous effect on our Artistic Division.
At last year's show there were three times as many people who entered the
Artistic Division as there were in Horticulture, and there was only one
person who exhibited in Horticulture (moi - a Mahanism, BTW) who did not
also exhibit in Artistics. We have also done "how to" demonstrations
related to Horticulture, but not as systematically. This year we are
planning to put our major emphasis on Horticultural exhibiting, probably by
having a mock judging at our last meeting prior to the show so novice
exhibitors can get a better idea of exactly what considerations go into
determining the merit of an entry.

> We also have a member who every year brings dozens and dozens of Iris not
> exhibit for competition but to put on an educational display. If you have
any
> member of members willing to do this, it makes for a great part of the
show
> and really helps to educate the general public about Iris.

I agree that this is a wonderful feature to have at a show, but we are a
small group, and it takes nearly everyone's total effort to mount the show
and enter their own competitive exhibits.

> Good luck with your shows. And most important don't forget to get some
judges!
> A most important part of the show!

We have been very fortunate to have excellent cooperation from the AIS
judges in the Salt Lake City area, and also from Garden Club judges, who
also have to drive up from the Salt Lake-Ogden area to judge our show.

Jeff Walters in northern Utah (Zone 4)
cwalters@cache.net
"This is the Place" - Utah Pioneer Sesquicentennial:  1847-1997