Re: Nemacur

From: Scott Aitken  <zebra@chcs.com>

        Lowell Baumunk wrote:
>I was very interested in Terry Aitken's article on nematodes in the Bulletin.
>Have any of you used Nemacur?  It sounds a little scary to me.  I wonder
>exactly what is meant by a "restricted" pesticide.  Colorado State U. doesn't
>test for nematodes, and although nematodes sounds like a good explanation for
>the kind of decline in vigor we see in long-used iris beds, I hate to treat
>for a condition I am not sure exists in my garden.  Any ideas?

I spoke to my dad (Terry Aitken) about this.

He says that a "restricted" pesticide requires a restricted pesticide
applicator's license to purchase it. You can not purchase it at your local
garden store. He did not go into any detail about how you go about getting
a restricted pesticide applicator's license.

Each state should have some kind of agricultural inspector who can tell you
if you have nematodes. Commercial gardeners are required to have their
plants certified free of nematodes (or certain types of nematodes) when
shipping to various foreign countries. The cost and the name of the
government agency will vary from state to state, but there should be one in
your state. The drawback to this service is that most state agricultural
inspectors will only tell you what kind of nematodes (if any) you have, but
will NOT tell you how many or how bad the infestation is. There are some
private labs that can do more specific tests to tell you what kind AND how
many you have. Your state agricultural inspector may be able to suggest a
local one to you. If not, here is one my dad uses:
        Peninsu-Lab  (phone: 1-800-635-6866)
        5795 NE Minder Rd
        Paulsbo, WA  98370

Peninu-Lab can also do a variety of other soil tests which I am sure they
will tell you about if you call or write.

Scott Aitken
<zebra@chcs.com>
AIS web page:  http://www.isomedia.com/homes/AIS