Re: Iris breeding

LMann76543@aol.com wrote:
> >The first umpteen thousand
> >rearrangements were interesting. Now it's re-run season.
> I see new colors and patterns, and a gradual improvement of vigor, more
> stalks per rhizome, stronger stalks, and better substance  in older colors
> and patterns.  Am I imagining this?  As everyone says, there are a lot of out
> of region duds along the way.
> Look at JESSE'S SONG - its stalks don't like the repeated cold shocks in my
> frost pocket, but my goodness, talk about vigor in a plicata.  It grows
> circles around STEPPING OUT.
> Linda Mann east Tennessee

Well spoken Linda!  There is plently of room for improvement in all
classes of iris including the talls.  I know for a fact that Keith
Keppel has introduced new blood into his plicata lines.  He found many
of his own plicata introductions would struggle in his new Oregon home.
It is probably true that the basic colors and patterns are all set in
the beardeds, however many new combinations can be had by  dedicated
hybridizers.  Think of all the thousands of iris available today which
is the cumulation of 100 years.  "The varieties of the late 1890's were
considered so fine that many growers believed further improvement
impossible".  This quote is by British growers of that era.  How wrong
they were!  And i'm sure the quotes of some growers of this era will be
wrong also.

Rick Tasco
Central California
Zone 8